• Since 2016 completely focused on painting.
• Trained art-therapist [A.K.T München] (2008-2012).
• Regularly painting at GFFKT e.V. (1995-2002).
• Painting and acting during and after studies.
• Graduated as Diplom Sozialpädagogin Fachbereich Sozialwesen (FH) from Otto-Friedrich-University in Bamberg with a focus on social management (1986-1992). Until 2016, leading positions in various social affairs organisations and departments.
• Born 1966 in Oberndorf am Neckar, Germany. Grew up in Ulm, Germany.
About my paintings
I frequently use materials from nature which many people bring back from their various travels. These include sand, soil, shells, etc… I integrate these structures into my paintings or use them as a base for new pigments. Thus, every painting also gains a personal story. I predominantly use acrylic and oil paints, but also like to experiment with new materials and dye mixtures to explore fresh possibilities.
By choice, I do not paint figurative subjects and concentrate on purely abstract textures instead. My images frequently develop while listening to the music of my husband Serge Devadder. Just like my paintings develop organically, Serge builds electronic soundscapes. The particular depth of his music has been a source of inspiration since we first got together.
At first sight my art may seem „random“, but it is definitely not. Although I paint very intuitively, I leave nothing to chance. My creative method often includes re-exploring a specific canvas in multiple phases, and even covering up an existing painting with entirely new layers. I already consider the desired colour-composition and future structure during the priming phase. Often, I will have an abstract image in mind beforehand, a vision of where the picture should evolve to.
Many viewers of my works also report that they have a desire to physically touch them. Apparently, the various thick layers and granular textures also invite towards a tactile, as well as visual experience.
Birgit Schweimler – Dießen am Ammersee, 2019